When I’m drivin’ free, the world’s my home.. When I’m mobile
Mobile, mobile, mobile, yeah
- Pete Townsend
According to Strategy Analytics, global smartphone shipments reached a record 700 million units in 2012 — up from 490 million in 2011.
Here are some key mobile stats for your consideration (some fascinating, some disturbing) :
- By the end of 2013, there will be more mobile devices on Earth than people. (Source: Cisco, 2013)
- 75 percent of Americans bring their phones to the bathroom. (Source: Digiday, 2013)
- 50% of all local searches are performed on mobile devices. (Microsoft tag)
- 70% of all mobile searches result in action within 1 hour (Social Media Today)
- Mobile coupons get 10 times the redemption rate of traditional coupons (SMS Marketing)
- Time spent with mobile apps starting to challenge television: consumers are spending 127 minutes per day in mobile apps–up 35 percent from 94 minutes a day in the same time last year–and spend 168 minutes watching television per day. (Source: Flurry, 2012)
- 57 percent of consumers will not recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site. Similarly, 40 percent of consumers will go to a competitor’s site after a bad mobile experience (Source: Compuware, 2012)
Many industry experts believe that the number of people accessing the internet via mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) will overtake the number using fixed-line connections in 2014.
Our world is ”Goin’ Mobile” and a successful web presence needs to render well across the mobile environment. The best answer for most organizations is a Responsive Web Design that ensures optimized user experiences across all devices.
- Mark Wise